Sunday, November 2, 2008

Blog 2

In my second week of viewing my micro aquarium i found many new and interesting discoveries different from my first week! As soon as i put the slide on the microscope I immediately discovered two different types of Rotifers. The first type was a Ostracoda, this is also commonly known as a seed shrimp. This is a tiny organism that jerked in a very fast motion forwards. The organism had a tiny claw or "pincher" on the head of it. The other type of rotifer i saw was a common rotifer it was a circular body and moved in a very common jerking motion.
I also viewed a lot of paramecium's, this organism was a longer, circulate figure with a lot of cilia or flagella all along the body. This object did not appear to move until forced to by me, by tapping on the slide. Once I would tap on the side the organism would spin and move a couple millimeters very fast and quick. The overall viewing of these organisms was a lot more than the first viewing, there seemed to be a lot more organisms in the micro aquarium.

Ward, Baldwin Henry. Freshwater Biology. New York, 1918

No comments: